13 January 2012
Posted in Press and Media
Virtual Reality, Simulators, Videogames, Laser Shows, 3-D, Brain Mapping, Panels, Movies and Exploding Bacon!
January 13-16 at the Orlando Science Center
WHAT: Let the games begin! The seventh annual Otronicon is in full swing at the Orlando Science Center. Multiple industry partners have joined together to celebrate the role interactive technology plays in the way we live, learn, work and play. Otronicon is the Science Center’s largest annual event with an average of 2,500 visitors each day – more than 10,000 guests are projected for all four days. Now in its seventh year, Otronicon promotes technology “made in Orlando, played in Orlando,” spotlighting Central Florida organizations creating games, simulators and jobs that are changing our high tech future.
Key events include:
- EA SPORTS will showcase their latest virtual technology application – EA SPORTS Game View – an augmented reality system that ESPN analysts are now using to run plays using 3-D virtual athletes. Attendees can watch as animated virtual athletes run plays on a virtual field in real-time. EA SPORTS will also invite attendees to “get in the game” with Madden NFL cover photo-ops, motion capture technology, and, of course, plenty of games for open play. Walt Disney World Resort will display how audio-animatronics helps bring their brand of family entertainment to life.
- Florida Hospital hosts Medical Sim City with demonstrations that include the innovative da Vinci surgical robot along with patient simulators, echocardiograms and a virtual autopsy. Lockheed Martin hosts the military simulation area featuring cutting-edge flight simulators, driving simulators, student-built robots and other great military displays. Other partners will present virtual marksmanship trainers and show how they use simulations to keep our soldiers and pilots safe.
- Experience the virtual world through Virtusphere! Wear a wireless, head-mounted display while you walk or run immersed in a virtual environment set within a 10-foot hollow sphere that rotates freely in any direction according to your steps. Scenarios include a walkthrough of the human heart and a first-person shooter.
- Robot demonstrations like Exploding Bacon from Lockheed Martin’s First Robotics Team, robotic mazes courtesy of RDECOM or underwater robots thanks to Sea Perch.
- Step into the game by participating in rounds of outdoor laser tag provided by Battlefield Live on Saturday and Sunday only from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (first-come/first-serve, weather permitting).
- The ReBoot Lounge presented by Bright House Networks gives you the chance to hit the RESET button with a funky tech vibe. Spend time here to unwind, be heard with social media hubs powered by Road Runner Lightning featuring Wideband Technology, play classic arcade favorites like “Pac Man,” “Donkey Kong” and “Space Invaders,” engage in a game of foosball with up to 22 players and observe an art show on Friday night at 7 p.m. with works inspired by video games and created by the latest digital tools.
- Participate in game design workshops overseen by Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy and others. Plus, check out game development panels that give you a behind-the-scenes glimpse at every aspect of the production of some of your favorite video game titles.
- Experience the power of the Force with appearances by members of the 501st Imperial Legion, Star Wars Costuming Club on Saturday and Sunday only.
WHEN: Otronicon runs from Friday, January 13 to Monday, January 16
WHERE: Orlando Science Center, 777 East Princeton Street, Orlando, FL 32803
WHY: Otronicon promotes the concept of “made in Orlando, played in Orlando” with many chances to interact with the creative professionals that make the games you enjoy and discover the growing career opportunities in your own backyard. This experience has the opportunity to inspire a child’s interest in science and tech careers through the appeal of video games and interactive technology.
COST: Admission to Otronicon is $17 for adults and $12 for kids (ages 3-11). Science Center members get free admission. Tickets include access to all four floors of Otronicon including displays, demonstrations and presentations by EA SPORTS, Walt Disney World Resorts, Lockheed Martin, Florida Hospital, University of Central Florida, Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy, and much more.
INFO: For details on Otronicon, please call 407.514.2000 or visit www.otronicon.org.
OTRONICON PARTNERS INCLUDE Bright House Networks, University of Central Florida Institute for Simulation & Training, University of Central Florida Research & Commercialization, Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy, EA SPORTS, Walt Disney World Resort, Bank of America, DeVry University, Florida Hospital for Children, SAIC, Florida High Tech Corridor Council, Florida Virtual School, Lockheed Martin, SEAY Business, National Center for Simulation Metro Orlando Economic Development Commission, United Arts of Central Florida, Florida DCA, and Orange County.