14 June 2010
Posted in Dr. Phillips CineDome
In the surfing world, there is only one name: Kelly Slater. The nine-time world champion is unparalleled in the sport, taking the likes of Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky and Babe Ruth and wrapping them into one surfing god. As an unquestioned king in his sport, the legend garners respect from many. What isn’t widely known, however, is that the king respects the mayor; the Mayor of Teahupo’o.
Raimana Van Bastolaer may not be a household name (yet), but his surfing talent has already garnered the respect of the unquestioned king of surfing. While filming Ultimate Wave: Tahiti, premiering June 19 at the Orlando Science Center, Slater met up with Van Bastolaer to tackle the “Ultimate Wave.” While filming, the two bonded and formed a mutual respect for one another.
While Slater rides on state-of-the-art equipment in rigorously timed competitions, Van Bastolaer tends to the quiet, laid-back attitude of the ancient Tahitian watermen. Van Bastolaer explores the science and art of riding the wave, and speaks to the connections people make with the ocean. And while Slater may be the King of Surfing, at times, the King hails to the Mayor.
- Dr. Ying Competition 2010 Article in Orlando Sentinel Orange Extra
- Make a Portable Wave
- Clowning Around With Science Magic!
- PR: Orlando Science Center Promotes the Science of Sustainability
- Lunchables Project Potential Day Slideshow Wrap-up
- PR: AT&T Grant Supports Youth Technology Program
- Mission: Nutrition 3 Event Photos